You can download the episode here, or stream it below!
After months of frustrating negotiations…the owners and players failed to come to an agreement. But alas, MLB Commish Rob Manfred instituted a 60 game season, players agreed to the health protocols, and voila! We officially have a 2020 baseball season!
Here are the main points:
- 60 game season (40 against NL West, 20 against AL West)
- Universal DH
- In every extra inning, a runner starts the inning on second base
- 60 player pool; camp opens today, July 1
- Season starts July 23 or 24
- Trade deadline is Aug 31
- 30 man roster the first 2 weeks of the season, 28 the next 2 weeks, 26 the rest of the way
- Playoffs remain the same (3 division winners, 2 wild cards in each league)
- Separate COVID-19 injured list. A player has to test negative twice to resume play
- Players and personnel not in game must be in stands, 6 feet apart
Eric and I talk about the ramifications these new rules have on the Giants, including who’s going to be DH most of the time, the Giants actually have a shot at a playoff spot with so few games, how do they handle stats of runners scoring in extra innings, and much, much more.
We are so excited to actually discuss real baseball, but we hope that the season not only starts, but can come to a conclusion. There is serious worry about what the virus may do to halt the season. But, in the meantime, we’re moving forward and will be back with an episode in mid-July and our annual season preview around July 22.
As noted in the photo above, Eric and I met up in Las Vegas last week, the first time we’ve seen each other in 7 years! We talked shop, drank, and caught up. We highly recommend “BEER PARK” at the Paris Hotel, a great outdoor venue. Next time, we’ll make a podcast out of it.
@chadk21 & @2outhits